OpenText ECM Consulting
With the experience of more than 100 implemented ECM and DMS/BPM projects, iXens o advises and accompanies businesses in the implementation of a company-wide ECM solution platform and the removal of off-grid systems. Enterprise Content Management (ECM) allows the management and especially the retrival of structured and unstructured information and documents.
- Unfortunaltely, there is no SINGLE best or correct was or standard 'ECM Masterplan'.
- An individual review of the customer requirements is necessary.
- An incremental ECM implementation is indispensable.
- "Paperless office" stays utopian, paper reduced processing is realistic. Paper stays the favorite interface of man (digital paper).
- Is the business compliant to legal requirements, e.g. GdPdU, UStG, export regulations, etc.?
- Does the business meet its own service-, quality- and compliance-requirements?
- If not, where does the biggest burden originate from?
- In which area or through which solution can the fastest retrun of investement be achieved?
- Are the overall objectives attainable with the available resources?
- Can expenses be reduced by a consolidation of IT systems?
- Create an overall ECM Masterplan and define sub-projects.
- Define work packages of the sub-projects (WCM, BPM, DMS, archiving, etc.) and their goals/results, e.g. recognition rates, provisioning time of digital mailroom, rate of automated booking, service level, processing times, quality index…
- Call for management support and involve staff representation.
- Define the ECM team (internal and external resources).
Evaltation and decision phase
- Selection of manufacturers/implementation partners.
- Future security and risk factors (development locations, finance, technology).
- Innovation force/speed.
- Customer base, internationality, support (possibly worldwide).
- PArtner landscape (dependency), project/product experience.
- PoC (Proof of Concept) for deep integration into thir-party systems.
- Verification of the requirements to IT infrastructure and workstations
(e.g. trend towards 2-3 screens when handling documents).
- Matching of the ECM masterplan against the IT plan (release implementation / dependencies).
- Define project teams for the sub-projects, "is the chemistry right"?
- Create a steering commitee, if necessary (avoid blocking).
- Early involvement of departments/users.
- Set up laboratory workspaces (different variants made, "for touching").
- Technical specifications / Rapid Prototyping.
- Realization of manageable and measurable work packages.
- 80/20 rule, no detailed discussions (pragmatic approach).
- Define test cases with expected results.
- Set up project controlling (time / cost / quality).
- Pilot introduction in manegeable size.
- Successive roll-out (user count / company departments).
- Gradually implement internationality.
- Temporarily support processes with paper documents if necessary.
- Review goals and achieved results.
- Initiate corrective measures and realize optimization potential.
- Introduce additional ECM modules.